Pages

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Hummus

Hummus is part of the Arabic Cuisine.  It’s a dip or spread made of chickpeas.  In the original recipe chickpeas are blended with tahini, lemon juice, garlic and olive oil.  Though tahini is a major component of Hummus, I am omitted it as I was not able to get it. Tahini is a form of roasted sesame seed paste,   I will try to make it again with home make sesame paste.  But as of now it is without tahini. This recipe should need a luxurious toss of virgin olive oil.

This dip was introduced to me by a friend of mine who is a major admirer of Lebanese food like falafel, Shawarma, pita bread etc., and hummus comes as add-ons with these.
    
The first time I tried to make, the major mistake I did was with the sourness of the dish. You have to be careful while putting lemon juice as sometimes it become sour and ruins the taste.  What I do now is to put the lemon juice little by little, mix and taste. It should have a tint of sourness (the beginning of sourness).

I make it once in a week and store it in the refrigerator.  Whenever my kids are hunger especially after they playing session, they just spread in on breads or rotis and have it.  This type of food comes very handy as a working mother.   Try making it once and I am sure it would be there always as an emergency dip in your refrigerator.
 

Ingredients

Chickpeas/chole  - 1 cup
Garlic – 5 pods
Lemon juice – 1 tsp
Olive oil – 2 tbsp
Salt – as per taste
Black olive – few to garnish

Method

1.         Sock the chickpeas in water for 6 or 7 hrs. and boil till it is properly cooked ( pressure cook for 5 whistle).
2.         In a blender or mixer, blend boiled chickpea, garlic, 1 table spoon olive oil, lemon juice and salt to a paste.  
3.         Take this paste into a serving bowl, add the remaining oil and top it with olive oil.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...