Pages

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Jaathikka Chammanthi / Nutmeg Fruit Chutney

Pleasantly aromatic, nutmeg is actually seed kernel of fruit-nutmeg.  We always use the nut and the mace of this fruit.  In my childhood my grandfather’s house had an old Jaathi (nutmeg tree) near the family well. I would tag along with him every morning  to collect the fallen nutmeg fruits. During these walks I have tasted the fruit but never liked it.  These are few of the summer vacation memories I have.


I never knew that we could make such taste chuttney out the nutmeg fruit. Thanks to my cousin's husband who mentioned it and i went hunting for the recipe.  So, this year’s visit to Kerala taught me this new recipe. It’s my Grandmothers special recipe. Thanks to her I have found one more traditional recipe.

So now try to find this fruit and make this chammanthi and ENJOY!


 Ingredients

Jaathikka fruit/Nutmeg fruit – 2
Grated coconut – 1 cup
Green chilli – 2 – 3 (according to your taste)
(Note : I prefer kandari chilli / birds eye chilli if it is readily available)
Shallots/ sambar onions – 5
Ginger – small piece
Garlic – 3 piece
Salt – according to your tast
Curry leave – 10 finely cut

  Method

1.     Break the Jaathikka into half and remove the red inner coat (mace) and the nut.
2.     Now roast the fruit directly on the gas flame/stove till the out layer burns and the inside cooks. ( authentically it done in a hearth/chulha)
3.     Peel of the burnt outer skin, clean  the remaining with a dry towel and cut it into small piece
4.     Grind all the ingredient except the curry leave into a smooth paste.
5.     Mix the finely cut curry leaves.
6.     It’s ready to serve.


1 comment:

  1. Congratulation for the great post. Those who come to read your Information will find lots of helpful and informative tips. Nutmeg

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...