Pages

Thursday, February 13, 2014

Makhane ke Kheer / Foxnut porridge

Makhane is also known as  foxnu, lotus seed, phool makhane. It looks like round, white popcorns.  I had never seen this when I was in Maharashtra or in south.  May be it is there I never knew it.   The first time I saw it was at my brother-in-laws wedding. As part of the shagun they gave us dry fruits. Makhane was part of it.  This was something new for me, so when I came back home I started researching on it, and found out all about it.  Part of my research was, what do I make of it. And this is one recipe I found in Nita Mehta’s book. Again I have done a little variation according to my taste and requirement.

It’s very simple and healthy.  Try it and let me know your views. 




Ingredient

Milk – 1 ltr
Makhane/foxnut – 50gm ( around 2 cup)
Sugar – ½ cup
Cardamom powder – ½ tsp
Kewra water – 1tsp
Almond – 10 (cut into long strips)
Khoya (optional)
  
Method

1.   Roast the lotus seeds till they start to change the color. Crush half of and leave the rest as a whole.
2.   Boil milk. When the milk starts to boil, add the makhane and cook in milk at medium heat. Keep stirring in between, so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom.
3.   Cook till the makhane is cooked and the consistency of the milk reduces.
4.   Now add the sugar, cardamom powder, half the quantity of almond and crushed khoya, cook for few more minutes.
5.   Remove from the heat and let it cool for 10 min. Now add the kewra water and mix well.
6.   Transfer it to the serving bowl and decorate it with almonds.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...