Pages

Friday, May 31, 2013

Broken wheat payasam / Nurukku gothambu payasam

This payasam was introduced to me by one of my aunt back in kerela. I like it specially because it is made of wheat. And the combination of coconut milk, jiggery and cardamom powder is heavenly.
The basic recipe is shared by my aunt  and a little bit of internet search. If I have to make her way she will only use freshly extracted coconut milk which is big process and I always have a fear of milk getting curdled with Jaggery. 
Anyway its healthy and I love it.
Serves : 6

Ingredients
 
½ cup broken wheat
250gm  jaggery
2 ½ cups water
2 cups medium thick coconut milk ( I used Dabur Hommade –Tetrapak)
3 tablespoon ghee
7 cashew nuts
10-15  cup raisins
1 tbsp cup bite sized coconut pieces (thengakothu)
¼  teaspoon dried ginger powder
¼  teaspoon cardamom powder
Method    
 
  • Clean the broken wheat and pressure cook it by adding 2 cups water in high flame  for about 7-8 whistles.(make sure that the wheat is cooked well )
  • Melt jaggery in a pan with ½ cup water and strain it.
  • Combine the melted jaggery with the cooked wheat.
  • Add 2 tablespoon of ghee to the melted jaggery and stir nicely for 4-5 minutes.
  • Add coconut milk and mix well. 
  • Allow it to boil and keep stirring in between until it attains a thick consistency.
  • Turn off the flame and add dried ginger and cardamom powder.
  • In a pan heat 1 table spoon ghee and fry coconut pieces.
  • When it turns light brown colour add cashew nuts and raisins and fry it.
  • Pour it on top of payasam.
  • Serve hot.
  • I like it cold and a day older.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...